<$BlogRSDUrl$>

CURRENT POSTING STATUS weekly monthly irregular none occasionally 1-3 3-5 5-7 weekdays only weekends only anyday

Friday, December 05, 2003

SNOW BOUND 

The phone call this morning informed me that I could work from home today since the snows were making themselves known. Great. After a few hours though, lunch time, and I had to get out and try my bike in the winter weather. As I was riding along I tried to think back to childhood, could this be the first time I rode my bike in the snow? I can't remember doing it as a kid, the bikes were usually put away during the bad weather and we were inside except for sledding and football if I remember.

This was a great chance to test my skills and my bikes chutzpah without having to be on time, or get on the main roads. And I report a positive all around. No problems driving through snow on the ground, no slipping and sliding, fenders working great in the slush. In fact I came across a great puddle, about 10 or 12 feet across in each direction, at least as deep as my wheel to the rim, and I plowed through it. I looked down and the water was being directed perfectly out to the sides away from me and my shoes, I couldn't ask for anything more really. My shoes still were getting wet from the wet snow (which turned into hail while I was out, I could hear it boinking off my safety glasses) and setting my feet down a few times, so I still need to find good overboots. Will try the newspaper bags someone suggested if I can find any (we don't get the newspaper).

I even started pushing my limits to see where they were. I hit a turn that was fairly narrow and did so at about 15 mph, and as long as I kept a good line I was fine. So I decided to kick the weight around a little, and finally managed to slide out the back end, but nothing bad enough that I couldn't recover from. Then while just lolling along on a side road I started doing really tight turns and once again no major issues excpet when I really tried to throw my weight off hard. I am pretty confident in my knobbies now. One question I have is will rain-x or any other substance help keep the wet snow from building up on my rims and brakes?

Finally I skipped down to check out the Voodoo Skate Park here in town. A cool skate/bike/climbing indoor park at an old warehouse that has been around for about a year. This was the first time I checked it out and I have thoughts about going down to do some winter indoor climbing or bouldering, maybe teaching Sue in the process. We'll see, but it's a positive place after the other losses I talked about in my previous posts.


Comments: Post a Comment
Google
WWW bicyclecommutingnow

Remember to use your browser's find command (in the edit menu) to locate the search term on the page once you get to the proper archive.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.comFree Guestbook from Bravenet

Free Photo Albums from Bravenet