<$BlogRSDUrl$>

CURRENT POSTING STATUS weekly monthly irregular none occasionally 1-3 3-5 5-7 weekdays only weekends only anyday

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

CRANKY 

I thought my bike was more mature, but she sure has been acting cranky lately. My crank arm came loose again, the same one that fell off before. You'll remember that I acquired a replacement bolt, but it seems to have worked its way off a bit. I suppose this can mean a few things.

One, the threads that the bolt screws into may be stripped, or the casing may be cracked I suppose. This based on the fact I have a new bolt that is performing the same as the old bolt. Or two, I had it tightened incorrectly, as I mentioned I don't have a torque wrench (yet), so perhaps I didn't tighten enough, or maybe too much and caused irreperable harm. Or three, maybe an extra part is missing I don't know about. Is there supposed to be a washer between the bolt and body? This is a possibility I suppose. Anyone have any advice?

Fortunately, I wasn't far from the office on my way home when this happened tonight. I was able to retrace and call Sue for a pick-up. I think I will carry my socket wrench along with me over the next day or two, after I retighten it, in case it comes loose in transit. My Alien tool doesn't have a function for tightening this bolt I discovered, though I really knew this before I pulled it out.

In case you are looking to leave a comment on this or other topics, and have noticed the comments link has disappeared, it's not my fault. The service I have been using, Blogspeak, had its hosting suspended for some unknown reason to me. Supposedly it will be back up this weekend, but there is a possibility it won't be for a while. So I inserted an email link at the end of each post to encourage folks to contact me that way.

Song of the day: "Mad World" by Gary Jules - and if you haven't seen the movie Donnie Darko in which it was featured, you're missing out on an interesting and recommended cinematic experience.


Comments: Post a Comment
Google
WWW bicyclecommutingnow

Remember to use your browser's find command (in the edit menu) to locate the search term on the page once you get to the proper archive.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.comFree Guestbook from Bravenet

Free Photo Albums from Bravenet