<$BlogRSDUrl$>

CURRENT POSTING STATUS weekly monthly irregular none occasionally 1-3 3-5 5-7 weekdays only weekends only anyday

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

INVERSE CONVENIENCE 

There exists somewhere along a plane of degrees, a point where the convenience of taking the bus during snowy and icy weather becomes an inconvenience. I wish I knew how to predict, though since it is likely due to the intensity and timing of a winter storm, I would be a rich weatherman if I could. In any case, today I experienced this "point" when my bus was not only 30 minutes late, but then took 40 minutes to travel a five minute drive due to the backed up traffic and snowstorm (and then I had a 10 minute walk to my apartment).

Now what can I learn from this, if anything? Maybe I should have just walked, I would have gotten home quicker. Or maybe I should have been on my bike at this point. Really now, even if I would have walked the spots where I was concerned about safety, and walked up the hill that is super slippy, and taken the back streets once into New Cumberland, I still would have been home quicker. But at what cost? It would definitely have wiped me out physically for the night, and the conditions would have put a beating on my bike.

So perhaps this was the outcome for me this time. But if I ever get those studded tires, and if I can figure out just when that "point" will be crossed, then maybe you should just look for me on my bike.

Song of the Day: "Drown" by Son Volt


Comments: Post a Comment
Google
WWW bicyclecommutingnow

Remember to use your browser's find command (in the edit menu) to locate the search term on the page once you get to the proper archive.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.comFree Guestbook from Bravenet

Free Photo Albums from Bravenet