<$BlogRSDUrl$>

CURRENT POSTING STATUS weekly monthly irregular none occasionally 1-3 3-5 5-7 weekdays only weekends only anyday

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

STASH 

I broke into my remaining bike fuel stash from the 2003 garden this week. I had a few jars of frozen tomatoes still in the back of the freezer and pulled them out to make a vegetarian chili. One even had some cut up green peppers in it as well. I also used some garlic that I still have on hand from my dad's garden and from the Macoskey Center.

This next year though I'll have my own garlic as I planted a bunch this past fall. I planted a few small rows of the generic garlic that everyone has, but I also bought some different varieties to try. These were in a hardneck sample pack from the Garlic Store and included Chesnok Red, Georgia Fire, Spanish Roja, and Siberian.

Bike Fuel Recipe for Simple Vegetarian Chili:

Olive Oil
1 cup TVP (before reconstituting) and soy sauce
2 cups chopped onions
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon paprike
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
(1/4 cup chili powder optional)
4 cups chopped tomatos
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups cooked kidney beans

Saute reconstituted TVP in soy sauce, set aside. Saute onions and garlic in good oil, add paprika, oregano, and cumin (and optional chili powder) and stir until absorbed. In a pot add the tomatoes, sugar, salt with the onion/garlic mixture (add optional green peppers now), bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.

Then add the beans and TVP, simmer covered 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness. Serve with cheese or sour cream if desired, and piping hot corn bread.


Comments: Post a Comment
Google
WWW bicyclecommutingnow

Remember to use your browser's find command (in the edit menu) to locate the search term on the page once you get to the proper archive.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.comFree Guestbook from Bravenet

Free Photo Albums from Bravenet