<$BlogRSDUrl$>

CURRENT POSTING STATUS weekly monthly irregular none occasionally 1-3 3-5 5-7 weekdays only weekends only anyday

Thursday, March 04, 2004

FREE BIKE FUEL SEEDS 

Cumberland County Extension is once again giving away free seeds for starting your very own bike fuel garden this year. They have annuals, perennials, herbs and vegetables available that were packed for 2003 and donated by a local garden center. All you have to do is stop by the office at 1100 Claremont Rd, Carlisle PA and ask. The office is open Mon-Fri from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.

I got many of my starter seeds from the extension last year, and I have lots left over to use this year, so I probably won't be making a stop in for more seeds. I did splurge ($11) and bought a few different varieties of seeds and vegetables to try that I wasn't able to get at the extension last year, such as brussel sprouts, and a non-bitter salad greens mix for example. When my order comes in from SuperSeeds.com, I'll fill you in on what I'll be planting. Super Seeds (also known as Pinetree Seeds) is great because they sell garden-sized seed packs. Enough for the home grower and priced accordingly (many packets under $1.00).

And sowing may be as soon as this weekend. The soil in my raised beds is unfrozen a few inches, enough for me to sow seed. So as long as the rains stay away this weekend, I'll be seeding some peas, lettuces, spinach, and broccoli. I might have some other cold weather greens too that could go in now, at least as green manures until I put in my warm weather transplants in May, or cover crops to keep back soil loss from spring winds. The co-planting plan could be to sow seed within the growing greens and as I harvest the greens later in the spring allow the seedlings of the summer plants to come up.

Song of the Day" My Guitar Gently Weeps" by The Beatles


Comments: Post a Comment
Google
WWW bicyclecommutingnow

Remember to use your browser's find command (in the edit menu) to locate the search term on the page once you get to the proper archive.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.comFree Guestbook from Bravenet

Free Photo Albums from Bravenet