Thursday, April 15, 2004
First I used my Alien chain tool to remove a link and take off the chain. This was pretty simple actually, easier than putting the chain back on as you'll see later. With the chain removed I then proceeded to take off the crank arms as well. Finally, I used my new Shimano BB tool to remove the bottom bracket. This took a good little bit of leverage but I forced through and all came off good and clean. The bb was obviously shot, and I could clearly see the differenmce when the new part came in through my lbs 2 weeks later.
The weather turned bad and I brought the whole shebang inside to the top of the entry stairs which would become my workplace, sorry Sue, thanks for stepping over and around. I then used some Simple Green to clean the chain. I soaked it overnight, and through a clothes washing machine cycle while it sat on top and vibrated. Then I cleaned each side with the solution using an old toothbrush, finally rinsing off in a new solution of degreaser and water. I then let it air dry for 24 hours , during which time I installed my new bottom bracket.
After reading through the Barnette's manuals, I learned that I shouldn't grease the threads (specific to this Shimano bb), but should instead use loc-tite with my steel threads. The installation went smooth, and after torquing to the recommended tightness I then moved onto the cranks. This was pretty simple too, just remembering to start by trying the right crank in each of the four possible positions to determine the best fit for the chainline, and then also torquing to the recommended tightness.
Finally, I rethreaded the chain starting at the bottom of the rear derailleur, going through in a backward S and then up and swinging down through the front derailleur. Here is where an extra pair of hands was necessary. I couldn't hold the chain in place while I operated the chain tool by myself, so Sue held the chain while I positioned it then operated the tool, and the pin went smoothly back through the chain sides (there's a definite lack of proper terminology going on in my retelling here, sorry), even though the manual said this is often a difficult procedure.
So after a quick lube with some dry Finish Line, I took a spin around the block, and now I need a derailleur adjustment in the front, and possibly the back, but I think I'll know better once I adjust the front. Overall this wasn't that much work or concern, but it was magnified through having to order the bb, choosing to get some Simple Green from the store, having to work in the middle of the stairtop hallway because it's been so cold and wet out, and hauling in and then away my tools from the other areas of the apartment as they were needed and finished with. We'll call it a night at that and fill in more details as I finish up the adjustments, spring cleaning, sticker application, and new Flash Flag installation. Pictures, I promise.