Sunday, May 09, 2004
But then, when I tested the inner and outer chainrings for shifting and clearance, I had trouble with both. After lots of messing around at both ends of the chainrings' range, I decided the following, give up on the inner ring. I couldn't get all three to adjust perfectly, and so since I rarely use the inner chainring, I sacrificed it, and adjusted the outside chainring shifting and clearance. So now I effectively have two chainrings that work. Not a big deal for my use, but I still have the fact that something is not back to normal, and if it is the bottom bracket that is the wrong length, I have no desire right now to get it exchanged and switch it out again. I know that my chainrings are slightly warped as well, so maybe thats the culprit too. I think the only way I might get it all cleared up is to change out the whole drive train, not a pleasant prospect.
Well, I am rideable at the moment, and with gardening season, canoe sojourn season, and summer travel season in hand, I don't have any extra time for bike repairs. I also came to realize how difficult it is to try drive train repairs like I was doing this weekend without a repair stand. That might be a good investment in the next year.